Show your Support

Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday 20 August 2013

Lost my Magic in Magic Woods

So once again it’s been a while since I last posted, my priorities have been more to climbing every day than hunting out internet to blog about it… I’m sure you all understand ; )


After a highly successful trip to Gottardo and temperatures slowly dropping we headed to arguably the most famous bouldering area in Switzerland, Magic Wood. Keen to test myself on some well known problems we set about searching in the maze of a forest, hiking up and down, in and out, giving my knees a battering with just with the walking around. After a day of scouting out some of the problems I had seen or heard about we bumped into a friendly German guy called Mathew, who was just like us hunting around for things to try and eagerly looking for more pads and spotters to help with his project ‘Foxy Lady’. We kindly obliged and headed there with high hopes for the classic line. An hour or so down the line with Mathew happily giving me the beta I sent it with my last ounce of energy (clearly visible in the video as once I’d hit the jug and headed for the last few metres to top out I was so pumped out even the largest of holds seemed a problem!).



The next few weeks consisted of me flapping around on everything I tried having a nightmare to send anything. Struggling with temperatures and friction I soon lowered my standards in order to top some things and worked my way up from 7b’s to 7c+’s sending some classic lines such as ‘Blown Away’, ‘Höhenzone’ and ‘Piranha’.


Before we knew it we’d spent a month in Magic Wood and met some fantastic people including Moritz, Mathew’s friend who entertained us on a regular basis with his miniature guitar. I spent the final few days frantically running around trying to send the remaining projects I had set my sights on earlier, frustratingly falling of the final move of ‘Astronautenfieber’ 5/6 times and the final hold of ‘High Spirit’ 5/6 times too. I left feeling a little deflated but happily knowing there is always more time for another trip to Magic Woods. There is always potential to visit later in the year before heading back home for some cooler conditions. In the meantime we have set our sights on Silvapark, the first area in our trip to Austria; made famous from Bernd Zangerl’s 8b+ monstrosity ‘Memento’.

Once again here’s the summary video of the last area, Gottardo…

0 comments:

Follow me..

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Members